Nith was a new race on the calendar this year, and the organizers did a really good job with the new course/venue, I thought it was awesome.
I rode out with Aaron last Thursday on his commute to Waterloo and continued on to check the course out, which was on the far side of Waterloo from Guelph. Never ridden that far in that direction, so was a good little bike adventure to get there and back. 150km round trip with lots of rolling hills and 'farm scenery', if you will.
The recon mission was well worth it as the course had some quirks, such as wind EVERYWHERE. No big hills or anything, but enough ups and downs that 132km of it on Sunday would make it a course to wear everyone down.
Headed out, race day, after a monster breakfast with Stu, Kira and her awesome fam, and drove through a major storm that left only sunshine at the sign in. Wasn't sure what I should pack in my jersey pocket... my sunblock or umbrella? I opted for a gel in the end.
Was really looking forward to this race, but the only thing was some lingering soreness in my muscles from some workouts I did earlier in the week. I had plenty of rest days this week so it was strange to feel that way on race day, still not sure what that was... but it was time to race and forget about that for now.
One of my goals for this race was to be more attentive and discerning to groups that went off the front, and think hard before bridging any gaps to groups that were just destined to be dust in the path of the giant vacuum-cleaner.
The first of eight laps lots of moves were attempted, and I guessed right about all of them as I didn't try to reach any of them, and they were all brought back . The second lap, the peloton seemed very attentive and jumpy still and I thought it would be too early for a big break to go. So I'm fighting my way through the crosswind section, probably 20th back or so, and it gets strung out and a split occurs, 10 guys deep, the rest is just carnage with riders on their own everywhere. It was kinda awesome, except when you're 20 wheels back, behind the most significant selection.
Over the next brutal few km in the wind, it shakes out and I'm in a 5-man group, chasing a 3 man group ahead, which is chasing the first group of 10 guys. We start rotating, but soon get some hanger's on. I look around and recognize these chaps, some of whom I know to be quite strong, but they're saying they just can't pull through. I thought I was getting hustled into doing more work, but not so as it would soon turn out.
With the sloppy rotation we had, the peloton behind was gaining fast and the groups ahead were getting no closer. About 100m between us and the giant hoover, almost everyone sits up in my group and gives up, but I've seen this before: if we get caught, we're spending the next 90km in a 30km/hr group ride. No thanks.
I look to my former teammate in the little group, who I only then recognized in his different kit, and tell him to come with me, as he was the only guy working with me at this point. He's a solid rider, so I thought he'd be with me no problem, but as I come by he's soaking wet from the earlier efforts and as I accidentally gap him, I ask if he's ok and he only shakes his head, 'no'. Oh boy.. just me now, sh*t!
A do-or-die moment, and I commit to catching that 2nd chase group up the road. I floor it as hard as I can and put some daylight between myself and the peloton, and slowly, agonizingly slowly, reach the chase group after 5 minutes solo that may have subtracted or added years to my life, I may never know.
After finally catching, I sit on for a few minutes, regain my senses, and try not to puke on my bike. On this course with the wind, even sitting on a small group is work, so even after the catch I had to be careful not to pop off until I was recharged.
And so there it was, odometer reading 42km, the rest of the race would be us four chasing the ten guys ahead and battling the crosswinds for the next 90km.
The lead group apparently split, and we became group 3 on the road, and ultimately finished 9 minutes back! I couldn't believe how far back we were.. but considering that there was no coasting/recovery anywhere on the course I'm sure I was more drained that I realized at the time.
Final sprint in our group set up after an attack from Evan, we regrouped, then 600m before the line, on the hill, I put in a dig, get caught, and as 2 guys come by I go to catch their wheel but the 4th guy is half-wheeling me on the side I needed to go to, and he wouldn't move up or back. Felt pretty cheap because to not run him off the road I stuck it out in the wind while he hid in the draft and eventually sprinted by just at the line.
Aside from the anti-climactic/lame finish, it was a fun, hard race.
The results showed just how hard it was for everyone in every group. I ended up just 13th of 36 starters, but there were only 17 finishers! That chasing peloton behind us just kept dwindling as the race wore on, apparently.
Honorable mentions to teammate Derrek who again killed it, finishing 3rd, no thanks to me whatsoever, and Anton who finally makes the main breakaway, only to be taken down by sushi/mystery malady in the end. Still hung onto the group though, so not bad at all.
Well, this weekend its off to Vermont for the Killington stage race. Two road stages sandwiching a TT, where thanks to Rach I will actually race a TT bike for once. Updates to come!
Bayden
Interesting to hear the story of "the group just ahead". Nice job getting up there and holding us off.
ReplyDeleteGood luck in Vermont
Andrew
Likewise after reading your story. I remember coming by you at one point, hoping you'd hop on and bring those tubrolegs of yours. Of course not knowing what you'd just gone through...
ReplyDelete